There are many opportunities to work for the IOPC outside of investigations, where your skills, experience and passion can be utilised. Within the Strategy and Corporate Services Directorate, you will find a wide variety of careers to support our organisational goals of improving confidence in policing whilst developing your own expertise.
The Application Solution Architecture team is responsible for designing and managing the ICT systems we use, making sure they allow information to flow between them. This includes our case management and document management systems, as well as looking at data and media management solutions. The team makes sure that our current ICT systems support our business processes, and that we develop the right ICT solutions for our future.
The ICT Solution Architects reside within the ICT team and have co-responsibility for the application architecture and maintaining of the Application portfolio. They will have responsibility for the designing and managing the delivery of application solutions that service the IOPC’s current and target operating needs.
We'll assess you against these Level 3 behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Managing a Quality Service
- Seeing the Bigger Picture
- Developing Self and Others
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, to find out more, please click here.
Throughout the recruitment process we will also assess your Experience, Strengths, Technical skills and Values. As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete two sift questions based on the essential criteria. Please also ensure that your relevant career history is completed, as this will be viewed by the panel.
We reserve the right to close this advert early if a high number of applications is received.
- The post holder will be expected to hold or gain security clearance to SC level.
- Provide specialist technology expertise.
- Conduct and present strategic assessments of current organisation capabilities to identify required or desired changes for enterprise-wide application solutions.
- Encourage programme/project leads and service owners to adhere to agreed management frameworks and approaches.
- Support the transition of applications to suitable platforms and hosting arrangements in accordance with the ICT strategy and programme of works
- Produce reports as appropriate for architecture and project governance, including making recommendations for changes to the agreed scope.
- Provide strategic advice, guidance and direction to database designers, application developers, technical architects and others to achieve the desired architecture target state.
- Produce required artefacts to describe the inter-relationships between people, organisation, service, process, data, information, technology and the external environment.
- Collaborate with other architects, ICT suppliers, business and framework leads to develop and embed standard architecture processes, that promote the synchronised management of organisation wide and extended architecture programmes and projects.
- Use appropriate modelling, prioritisation and environmental trend techniques to identify and convey the business benefits of pursuing alternative strategies and approaches.
- Develop option, proposal and recommendation papers to secure buy-in, approval and funding for application development.
- Be responsible for the designs of the high-level structures to enable and guide the development of integrated solutions that meet current and future business needs.
- Lead application support and development resources to manage the Information layer (data & application) and coordinate the relationship with the technology layer and its components.
- Assist with embedding required changes to service, process, organisation to improve ICT, the businesses operating models and drive innovation.
- Work with internal and external technical architects, ICT Business Relationship and Service Delivery Managers to ensure that the disaggregating, decommissioning and on-boarding of applications, services or platforms supports current and future architecture and business visions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders on practices and processes to ensure the security, compliance, quality, integrity, safety and availability of all forms of data and data structures which form the organisation’s information layer.
- Champion the tactical strategy for master data management, that supports the management of data and information in all its forms and structures. (including logical analysis of taxonomies, data and metadata)
- Promote innovative ways for managing the organisations application architecture in line with legal compliance and best practice.
- Contribute to the ICT infrastructure and strategic technology change projects.
- Deputising for the ICT Enterprise solution Architect and represent the ICT service as a whole.
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in at least 2 of the following: SQL, JQuery, SOAP, XML, Java script, .Net.
- Experience API and SOA technology
- Experience of working as a developer within house development teams
- Experience of developing and managing CMS, Workflow management solutions and EDRM’s using at least 2 of the following;
- SharePoint 2010 +,
- Powerapps & Flow.
- Experience managing and working with external suppliers to deliver high quality application solutions.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Software Development Lifecycle and project management Approaches (SDLC) (agile, waterfall, iteration and SOA)
- Knowledge and experience of developing application solutions as IAAS, PAAS and SAAS, including; Azure, AWS, O365 and open source options
- Experience developing technical architecture governance documentation
- Exposure to Architecture modelling languages and tools; UML, ArchiMate
- Understanding of at least one enterprise and solution Architecture frameworks; TOGAF, ZACHMAN, DODAF etc.
- Knowledge and experience in business and project methodologies and frameworks such as Prince2, PMP, Agile and ITIL
- Experience developing conceptual, logical and physical architectural models
- Experience of building strong working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Experience of information and data management integration tools and techniques such as analysis of taxonomies, data warehouse approaches (KIMBALL) and metadata management
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Positive can-do attitude and flexibility of approach.
- Understanding of the legal issues relating to IS/IT e.g.
- Knowledge or awareness one of the following;
- Record management and archive practices in line with ISO 15489
- ISO 90001
- SIAM professional BOK.
- Data Protection,
- Freedom of Information and Computer Misuse Acts,
- copyright, intellectual property rights
The IOPC is a diverse and inclusive workplace and we want to help you demonstrate your full potential whatever type of assessment is used. We are open to providing you with the tools you need to succeed, from extra time to formatting changes, to name a mere few. If you require any reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process, please email email@example.com
- 27.5 days paid annual leave (increasing with service to 32.5 days)
- Options to carry over, buy or sell annual leave
- Civil Service pension
- PAM employee assistance programme
- Access to Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC) membership
- Staff networks focused on each of the protected characteristics – run for staff, by staff
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity behaviours
The IOPC is not eligible to participate in the Civil Service transfer process, therefore successful candidates will not be able to transfer to the IOPC on their existing terms and conditions.
The IOPC does not participate in the UK Visa Sponsorship Scheme therefore, candidates will have to provide evidence of their Right to Work in the UK if offered a role with us.
This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, therefore a standard Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will be carried out for the successful candidate during the pre-employment process.
Any move to the Independent Office for Police Conduct from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may, however, be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
About the Company
As a completely independent organisation, the IOPC seeks to uphold the rights of the public and investigate the most serious matters, including deaths following police contact, to promote learning and influence change in policing. The IOPC is an organisation steeped in history, influenced by significant figures such as Stephen Lawrence and Sir William Macpherson. We are looking for people to uphold our core values, and in return we will give you a supportive and inclusive work environment to flourish in.
The IOPC is committed to promoting equality and valuing diversity in everything we do. Our vision is to be, and to be seen as, a leader in inclusive employment and services, demonstrating this ethos in everything that we do.
- As a silver standard Stonewall employer, we continue to commit to being a LGBTQ+ employer through the work of our Pride LGBTQ+ Staff Network, creating welcoming environments for lesbian, gay, bi and queer people.
- We are pleased to share that we are a signatory of the Business in the Community Race at Work Charter. The Charter is composed of five calls to action for leaders and organisations across all sectors.
- Being a Disability Confident employer, the IOPC is dedicated to removing the barriers for disabled people to thrive in the workplace.
- Our Staff Networks are constantly working to make the IOPC the leaders of inclusive employment, from our Allyship Programme to Welsh Language Standards and our Know the Line Policy, we are constantly seeking new ways to create an environment for all to develop and thrive.